Home Remedies for Ear Wax Removal
Ear wax performs an important function for our ears. It’s the yellow substance that our ears secrete and its scientific name is Cerumen. Ear wax protects ear from infection by keeping bacteria, germs, dirt and fungi away from the ear drums. Normally, ears automatically discard the excess ear wax out, which can be wiped off from a cotton bud or washed with water, easily.
But sometimes, the excess wax can get stuck inside the ear and cause blockage. Some main causes of blockage due to ear wax are excessive usage of earphones, ear infections, usage of hearing aids etc.
Here are few home remedies to remove ear wax:
1. Hydrogen Peroxide: It is one of the best and most popular home remedies to remove ear wax. Lie down on your side. Take some hydrogen peroxide solution in a dropper and put 2-3 drops in your ear. Stay in the position for few minutes and then tilt your head to let the solution flow out. Repeat this for at least 3 days.
Hydrogen peroxide dissolves the ear wax and helps it come out of the ear canal. After putting the solution for 3 straight days, flush your ear canal by putting some warm water in it. You will notice instant improvement in the blockage.
2. Cotton swab: Many people try to clear a blocked ear by inserting cotton buds in their ear canal. This should be avoided as cotton buds increase the blockage by pushing the wax further down in the ear canal. Hence, ear buds should be used to wipe out the excess was from the outer part of the ear canal only.
3. Oil treatment: Heat some mineral oil or baby oil and put few drops in your ear. Make sure that you are lying on your side while putting the oil. Let it work for few minutes in your ear and then, tilt your head in opposite direction to let excess oil to drain out. Warm oil also has similar effect as hydrogen peroxide does. Make sure that you flush out the ear after 3 days of treatment.
4. Paraffin wax: Paraffin oil is one of the most widely used substances to remove ear wax. Use it the same ways as the mineral oil treatment. Heat some paraffin and put it in your ear, before letting it drain out after few minutes. Don’t forget to flush out your ear after 3 days of continuous usage of paraffin.
5. Apple cider vinegar: Mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal parts and heat the mixture. Use this solution to flush your ear and unblock the ear canal. Apple cider vinegar helps clear the solidified wax particles from the ear.
Ear wax build up is not a serious problem and can be treated easily with simple remedies. However, if the wax production is too quick or there is excessive pain along with partial hearing loss, then a doctor should be consulted immediately.