Chapped Lips Remedies
Lips get cracked, chapped or dry in humid and cold weather, because the skin on lips is very thin sensitive. The reduction in the moisture level on or around the lips, due to changes in weather can cause dryness. The dehydration of the dermal layer on the surface of the lips also results in breaks or cracks of lips.
Licking the lips excessively or any allergic reaction also causes drying and chapping of lips, which may cause redness at the area around the mouth and discomfort. In summer, over exposure to sunlight also leads to chapped lips.
The following simple remedies can prevent your lips from getting chapped:
1. Deficiency of vitamins B, iron, and essential fatty acid may be responsible for cracking or scaling of lips and its corners. Ask your physician to recommend a good multivitamin or mineral supplement to prevent this problem.
2. Drink plenty of water and other fluids, especially in winters to prevent the lips away from dryness. Prevent winter dryness with the help of a humidifier in the rooms.
3. If lipstick dyes cause allergy, avoid using it.
4. Cool wet cloth can also be used for hydrating the lips if the water intake seems less. You can use a lip balm to prevent the moisture from escaping. This can be used at hourly or two hourly intervals. Prevent sun damage with a balm containing a minimum of 15 SPF.
5. Avoid licking of lips as it dries the lips even further and increases chapping. Lip licking can also leads to lip biting, thus resulting in the wear out of the lip’s protective layer.
6. Sometimes flavoring agents in toothpastes and mouthwash can also cause allergy. If you realize that a certain product is giving you chapped lips, then discontinue using it and use some other brand.
7. Use moisturizing lipsticks that contain lip balms and thus prevent chapping. Don’t use cheap or harsh lipsticks that make the lips dry.
8. Just like the rest of our body, our lips also get covered in dead skin cells. These can cause dryness and flaking should be removed carefully with a soft toothbrush.
9. Infection over chapped lips can be cured with over-the-counter antibiotic ointments.
10. Drooling while sleeping also causes chapped lips. Use a zinc oxide ointment at night for protection.
11. Clarified butter or milk cream applied over the lips for few times a day and before going to bed can also help.
12. Applying a slice of cucumber rubbed or Aloe Vera gel on the lips is also very effective.
13. Include vitamin A in your diet. Use ample quantity of tomatoes, carrots, whole grains, green leafy vegetables or even legumes. The juice of water cress, carrot and spinach juice along with 1 table spoon of nutritional yeast, one glass of tomato juice and 2 table spoon of wheat germ oil are also very much effective.
These simple remedies for chapped lips will help you keep your lips soft and beautiful.